Ace Hardware retailers’ philanthropy strengthens neighborhoods across the country
Biannual Community Involvement Survey shows how Ace retailers support youth and local organizations
Ace Hardware Corporation, the largest retailer-owned hardware cooperative in the world, is pleased to share the results of its 2017 Community Involvement Survey*, which set out to determine how Ace retailers give back to the communities they serve. This year’s survey, which generated responses from 110 retail stores, found that 63% of retailers support veteran organizations. The data also showed that youth education, youth sports, local business commerce, and local emergency response are organizations supported by most respondents.
“Our retailers, who are hard-working small business owners, are passionate about giving back to the neighborhoods they serve, and it’s another way we’ve been ‘The Helpful Place’ for the past 93 years,” said Kane Calamari, President of the Ace Hardware Foundation. “Whether it’s sponsoring a Little League team or supporting those who have served our country, Ace’s unique co-op business model empowers retailers to give back to their communities.”
Ace’s Community Involvement Survey explores the socially responsible business practices of Ace retailers, including philanthropic activities and environmental stewardship. The survey tracks monetary donations and donations of products and services on behalf of their Ace Hardware store(s).
Key findings from this year’s survey revealed Ace retailers (who participated in the survey*) gave in the following ways:
- 98% of retailers who participated in the survey** donated money, products, or services to any non-profit or charitable organization or cause.
- When asked why they think it is important to give back, Ace retailers indicate that:
- Giving back to the community generates goodwill among our customers – makes them feel good about giving us their business (91%);
- Being helpful extends beyond the walls of our store(s), it’s a representation of our brand and values (89%) and;
- Me and/or my employees want to support the community we live in (88%).
- 86% contributed to youth education and advocacy programs, such as Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of America, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Big Brothers Big Sisters, 4H Club, Future Farmers of America, local school(s), other local youth education/advocacy programs, etc.
- 85% contributed to local business commerce organizations such as the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary International, Kiwanis, Lion’s Club, Knights of Columbus, etc.
- 83% contributed to youth sports activities such as Little League, Peewee Football or Cheerleading, local school teams, other local teams, etc.
- 67% contributed to local emergency response, such as their fire department, police department, etc.
“For the last 50 years, the town of Newberg has taken care of my family and our small business, and as our business continues to grow we feel even more committed to giving back to help our community,” said Mark Vergets, Owner of Newberg Ace Hardware. “Our deep roots in the neighborhood allow us to understand what our community needs to be stronger and better. Betty and I are honored to serve Newberg daily and help make a difference.”
In addition to local philanthropic efforts, Ace and its retailers continue to support Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals at the national level through the Ace Hardware Foundation, reinforcing Ace’s history and commitment of supporting youth-based organizations. Since the Ace Hardware Foundation was established in 1991, Ace Hardware retailers, vendor partners and corporate team members have helped raise more than $82 million for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, with more than $10 million donated in 2016 alone.
# # #
For more than 90 years, Ace Hardware has been known as the place with the helpful hardware folks in thousands of neighborhoods across America, providing customers with a more personal kind of helpful. In 2017, Ace ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Home Improvement Retail Stores, Eleven Years in a Row," according to J.D. Power. With more than 5,000 hardware stores locally owned and operated across the globe, Ace is the largest retailer-owned hardware cooperative in the world. Headquartered in Oak Brook, Ill., Ace and its subsidiaries operate an expansive network of distribution centers in the U.S. and also have distribution capabilities in Ningbo, China; Colon, Panama; and Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Its retailers' stores are located in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and approximately 55 countries. For more information on Ace, visit acehardware.com or the company newsroom at newsroom.acehardware.com.
About the Ace Hardware Foundation
As the official charitable division of Ace Hardware Corporation, the Ace Hardware Foundation helps enhance the vision of being the “Helpful Place” in local communities across the country and around the globe through charitable giving. The Ace Foundation provides support and philanthropic opportunities to its consumers, retail store owners, vendors and team members to give back to local communities through fundraising efforts for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
* Disclaimer: Survey findings based on 110 responses from Ace retail stores. Survey respondents self-selected to participate in survey. Ace Hardware stores are independently owned and operated, and as such, efforts related to Corporate Social Responsibility vary. These results are not necessarily representative of all Ace Hardware stores.